Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Super Easy Buttermilk Bread



I generally don't bake bread unless the recipe is dead simple. This recipe was, and since I had leftover buttermilk that I really wanted to use, this was an obvious choice. I pretty much followed the recipe below, but instead of using the shortening, I substituted Smart Balance 50/50, because um yeah I didn't have any shortening at home.

Oh! And I also brushed buttermilk on the bread before baking. I would recommend doing that!

The recipe is courtesy of Cooks.com

3 c. sifted white flour
1 cake fresh or 1 pkg. dry yeast (dissolved in 1/4 c. of tepid water or buttermilk)
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. shortening
1 c. buttermilk (approx.)
1/4 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Sift flour into roomy bowl. Add salt, sugar, soda and baking powder to the flour and mix thoroughly. Add shortening to the flour and mix until the flour is like meal; add dissolved yeast and buttermilk. Mix thoroughly. Knead the dough until it is not sticky. (The flour and milk will always vary a little.) Transfer the dough to a clean bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and allow it to rise away from a draft until it has doubled in bulk. Punch down. Roll out as you would in making biscuits. Roll up like a jelly roll, tuck the ends under.

Place in a greased loaf pan. Allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in bulk. Put in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 15 minutes, turn thermostat to 350 degrees and bake the bread 30 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment