Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Apple Treasure Cookies

This is my favorite christmas cookie recipe. Hope you enjoy it!

I am happy to say that I am now well acquainted with my old friend, the Apple Treasure Cookie. For many years, me and my family would travel upstate to Pomona, New York, and go apple picking. On the way back, we stopped at a country store and picked up pies, and a bag of apple treasure cookies. I have missed those cookies, and recently I found a recipe online that sounded close to what I wanted to create, I just had to tweek it here and there. I substitued shortening for the butter, because the cookie needed to have a cake-like texture, and butter would make more of a crispy cookie. And, instead of buying many jars of spices, only to languish in my cupboard forever, I bought a tin of pumpkin pie spice, and it worked perfectly.
The ingredients.
Raw cookies.


Baked cookies.
Cookie about to go in my belly.
Now, the cookies don't look sexy, but trust me, they are gooooood, and your house will smell awesome, and they freeze beautifully, so make a bunch and freeze them. Here's the recipe:
Apple Treasure Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
6 ounces chocolate chips 1 cup diced apple
1 cup unsalted peanuts, halved
Cream shortening, sugar, molasses and eggs. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop spoonfulls on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 12-15 minutes (or longer depending on how big your spoonfulls are).

No comments:

Post a Comment